Make it Official!

Licensed to Wed

Your Guide to Getting a Marriage License in Maine

Are you getting married in Maine? You need a license in order to make it legal. Here’s how to get one.

File Marriage Intentions

The first step in obtaining a marriage license is to record the marriage intentions in writing. Both of you must sign the intentions stating you are free to marry.


Where to File

  • If you are both Maine residents, file your intentions at the municipal office in the town or city where at least one of you resides.
  • If only one of you resides in Maine, then both of you must file your intentions at the municipal office in the town or city where you hold residency.
  • If neither of you is a resident of Maine, you can file intentions at any municipal office in Maine.
  • If either of you are divorced, remember to bring a copy of your divorce decree. If you don’t have one, this can be obtained from the district court where the decree was issued. This needs to be an original document issued by the court with an embossed seal, not a photocopy. Present this to the clerk when you apply for your license and you will be good to go!

Once your intentions are filed and the license is issued, you are free to marry anywhere within the state.


Issuing License

There is no waiting period in the state of Maine. Once your intentions to marry are filed, the license may be issued immediately with your signatures. The license must be used within 90 days (not three months) from the date the intentions were filed and can only be used in the state of Maine.


After Ceremony

The person who performed the ceremony is responsible for completing the appropriate section of your marriage license. This includes obtaining the signatures of two witnesses (traditionally your maid of honor and best man) plus the signature of the officiant.


Filling Out & Filing

The marriage license must be completed in black ink only. The officiant is responsible for filing the license with the municipal clerk at the municipality where the license was issued. They have seven days from when the ceremony took place to file. Once it’s filed, you’re officially married.

Find local marriage license offices on our Region and City pages