Molly & Victoria Co.

Getting married in Maine? You need a license in order to make it legal. Here's how:


The first step in obtaining a marriage license is to have the marriage intentions recorded in writing. Both of you must sign the intentions, stating you are free to marry.


If both of you are Maine residents, you must file your intentions at the municipal office in the town or city where at least one of you resides.

If only one of you resides in Maine, then both of you must file your intentions at the municipal office in the town/city where the resident lives.

If neither of you are residents of Maine, you can file intentions in any municipal office in Maine.

Once your intentions are filed and the license is issued, you are free to marry anywhere within the state.


There is no waiting period in the state of Maine; once your intentions to marry are filed, the license may be issued immediately, with both your signatures. The license must be used within 90 days (not three months) from the date your intentions were filed.


After the marriage ceremony has taken place, the person who performed the ceremony is responsible for completing the ceremony section of your marriage license. This includes obtaining the signatures of two witnesses (traditionally your maid of honor and best man), plus the signature of the officiant.


The marriage license must be completed in black ink only. Once the ceremony has taken place and the ceremony section of the license has been completed, the officiant is then responsible for filing the license with the municipal clerk at the municipality where the license was issued within seven days. Once it's filed, you're officially married.

For further information, contact Maine Office of Vital Records at 207-287-6490 or visit